In order to successfully serve their clients and perform their missions, nonprofit organizations need to effectively manage their technology infrastructure. However, many of them lack the training, knowledge or support they need to do so. This is where we step in, and this is where you can help. The IT Infrastructure Program Manager is a key position on 501 Commons’ Technology Services team, helping nonprofits harness the power of technology to expand the reach and impact of their services. Through strategy, planning, development, and ongoing support of technology solutions, we catalyze significant improvement in the nonprofit sector by leading the way to more innovative use of technology.
This is a customer-focused role with a lot of client interaction, so a passion for working with people is essential. It is also important to be able to carry a big-picture perspective regarding client organizations and their needs while providing assistance to them.
In addition to the following essential duties and responsibilities, the IT Infrastructure Program Manager assumes other responsibilities as appropriate.
The Program Manager works with nonprofit organizations to help them produce mission-based technology strategies and plans. The Program Manager actively listens to nonprofits’ needs, understands ways in which technology can be used to enhance their mission, researches the costs and suitability of various solutions, helps nonprofits create overall approaches to technology, and authors implementation plans.
As a senior member of the Technology Services team, the Program Manager has a collaborative role in the ongoing development of 501 Commons’ consulting work, including the integration of technically skilled volunteers into the organization’s offerings.
- Works in partnership with the Director of Technology Services and Consulting, and members of the Tech Services team to grow 501 Commons’ consulting and services in accord with evolving best practices and the needs of the nonprofit community
- Defines and leads the implementation of consistent technical processes for systems implementations, maintenance, and support
- Provides management and mentorship to staff
- Collaborates with senior staff to professionally develop junior staff who can assist in or lead IT Infrastructure engagements
- Manages IT Infrastructure client communications, relationships, billing, and scheduling information, using 501 Commons information systems
- Documents all client communications, interactions, billing, and scheduling information in 501 Commons information systems
- Understands and effectively cross-markets all 501 Commons services
- Contributes to marketing strategy of 501 Commons by assisting communications staff in developing case studies and documenting success stories that demonstrate service impact
- Works in partnership with program leadership to grow and develop technology services and consulting business opportunities
- Establishes and meets sales targets and produces signed contracts from leads for technology strategy and planning engagements
- Monitors program performance according to established goals (financial, client satisfaction, service impact) and implements adjustments to achieve success
- Researches and assesses new products and emerging technologies for applicability in nonprofit environments
- Expands 501 Commons’ knowledge of latest technological advancements
Direct Service Delivery
· Provides direct IT Infrastructure project management, strategy and technology assistance to clients in the following areas (at least 40 billable hours per month):
o Stable and Secure IT Infrastructure
o Technology Strategy and Planning
· Manages client engagements and relationships
· Assist technical teams in requirements gathering and documentation
· Provides resource management to ensure effective utilization and client satisfaction
· Develops and maintains project plans for managing scope, schedule, resource needs, staffing and detailed work breakdown structure
· Performs risk/issue assessment, tracking resolution and escalation to ensure project completion
· Provides direction and sets priorities to deliver to plans/budget and resolve day-to-day program issues
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform well under pressure and respond positively to change and shifting priorities. The ideal candidate is also an independent thinker and self-starter who has foresight and ability to anticipate needs. He/she must be a creative problem-solver and proactive decision-maker.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 7-10 years of solid experience in local and wide area networking technologies:
- LAN, Wi-Fi, VPN, and Internet connectivity products (hubs, switches, routers, firewalls) and their installation, configuration, and support
- Implementation, migration, and support of Microsoft Windows client and server networking environments
- Configuring and supporting enterprise-class security devices, such as Cisco, SonicWall, and Watchguard
- Experience with small business and/or nonprofit systems and applications:
- Implementation and support of Microsoft server products including Windows Server, Active Directory, Exchange, and SQL Server
- Cloud platforms including Office 365, Google Apps, Box.com, Dropbox
- Microsoft Office suite in a networked environment
- Server and client-side protection strategies against viruses, malware, and spam
- Designing, implementing, and testing robust automated backup solutions
- Applications and processes for managing computer workgroups, including desktop imaging and lockdown solutions
- Nonprofit applications for fundraising, financial management, and event coordination is a plus
- Ability to manage client procurement processes for hardware and software systems and related data communications service provider contracts
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
· Passionate about the ability of technology to transform the nonprofit sector
· Proven ability to identify trends, develop strategies, and implement solutions
· Self-starter who possesses exceptional time management skills and has great attention to detail; must act independently and be self-motivated to prioritize and manage projects to meet deadlines
· Develops rapport quickly; must be a well-respected, trusted partner with whom other team members want to collaborate.
· Driven to exceed client and project goals, while contributing to a successful team
· Able to present technical information through spoken or written communications to diverse audiences in understandable terms
· Strong customer-service and relationship management skills, including discussing difficult subjects, setting and meeting expectations, and negotiating contracts
What we offer
· Flexibility: Ability to set your own schedule within a M-F, 7 am to 6 pm timeframe, including working remotely 1 day/week
· Collaboration with a small but highly professional team with opportunities for professional development.
· Benefits including generous paid time off, holiday pay, and access to employer-paid medical and dental coverage.
Salary Range: $62,000 - $68,000, DOE
501 Commons is an equal-opportunity employer and seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support the retention and advancement of diverse persons within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer corps with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission.
501 Commons is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. We are committed to fostering and supporting a workplace culture inclusive of people regardless of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, marital status, age, physical abilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other non-merit fact, so that all employees feel included, equal, valued and supported.
To be considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
with IT Infrastructure Program Manager in the email subject line. We look forward to hearing from you!